Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Ace your Poker Skills: The Golden Rule and More.....


Maybe it is the graying of the hair or the exposure from writing a column for SOAK magazine, but for some strange reason this past World Series of Poker it seemed like a lot of the new, younger players came to me seeking advice. They asked my opinion about many things that have to do with poker or the poker world. The questions of course differed, but when I think back and try to examine them the realization was that they could mostly be summed up with one general question, "How do you survive and prosper in the poker world?"


Since I am no youngster and have been around quite a long time, I thought I might be able to get away with giving some advice to the many new, mostly young players that I referred to earlier. I don't pretend to be an authority but if I may, let me try my hand at dispensing some words of wisdom.

First, let me say welcome to all the new people who are just entering the poker world. It can be heaven or it can be hell. Here is a list of some dos and don'ts that I hope will help you in this endeavor in which you have recently entered. The following list has taken years of pain and pleasure to compile.

There is only one that is more important than all the rest and that is the first one that I learned many years ago. A couple of years after I started playing poker, I asked the owner of the card club where I was playing, for a job dealing. Even though I was a recent college graduate and had a good job, I was intrigued by poker and wanted to be a part of it. Soon after becoming a dealer, I noticed that all my heroes, the winning players, always seemed to eventually get busted. I asked my boss, "What's the secret?"

His answer has stayed with me all these years and "I think" is still the secret. He said, "First and foremost, always have something going for yourself to make money besides playing poker." This I call the " Poker Golden Rule".

I have listed other dos and don'ts for you. They are listed randomly and have nothing to do with which ones are more or less important. The list reads:

  • Rid yourself of anger. It is counterproductive in poker.
  • Do not overvalue experience when it comes to surviving in the poker world.
  • Do not undervalue experience when it comes to surviving in the poker world.
  • Take vitamins.
  • Practice self control--one day a week do not use profanity.
  • Leave a tip for the maid in your hotel room, it will make you lucky.
  • Overlook minor annoyances.
  • Have some friends who know nothing at all about poker.
  • Beware of free food.
  • Do not have a list of more than three people to which you will loan money.
  • Do not have a list of more than three people to which you will borrow money.
  • When you're playing poker, "pay attention".
  • Never rush to play in a poker game--walk to the table slowly.
  • Develop a hobby such as golf.
  • Wear sunscreen when you play golf.
  • Savor being called "Kid". Someday you'll wake up and some "Kid" will be calling you "Sir".
  • Be brave at the table. Speak up when the floorman is trying to make a decision and asks what happened. Tell him what you saw.
  • If you smoke, quit
  • Beware of free food.
  • When someone says "Nice hand kid," always say "thank you".
  • Learn to control your breathing. You will be a lot more relaxed and live longer.

I hope this list will be of some value to some of you. But, if you get nothing else from reading this but to understand the importance of the "Poker Golden Rule", 'First and foremost, always have something going for yourself to make money besides playing poker." One of my personal additions has been, "even if it's just " writing poker columns." Follow the "golden rule" and you will be way ahead of most people wanting to survive and prosper in the poker world

For What it's Worth

(By Vince Burgio)

For Best Gaming Materials visit us at:
http://www.pokerchest.com/
Or call us at: 1-800-PokerChest.
Professional gambling and gaming
materials shipped nationwide.


1 comment:

AjaxUnion Marketing said...

This Advice is great for enhancing your poker gaming expierience.